Image Map

Boosting That Transcript and Gaining Knowledge

04 May 2013

Now, lots of people might ask "why take classes you don't need? Why torture yourself with some "classes" in the summer that don't "count" for something? Well, there's three reasons:

1. I'll admit to being a nerd and enjoying learning. Crazy, I know

2. To go along with that, these classes will boost my knowledge of the field I want to work in, and related items.

3. It'll boost my transcript and show I'm really serious about this, and not doing the bare minimum.

How will I go about doing this? Taking Continuing Education Credits (CEUs) that SLP's have to take for their license, but without getting credits at the end. Since I'm not a licensed professional, I don't need the credits themselves, so I'm just taking the classes. It's fairly simple. You can search on ASHA for CEUs you'd like, online or in person,  and find their provider, then take the class through the provider.

One of the main online providers (which makes it easier) is speechpathology.com, and what's good is they give a discount to STUDENTS! It's only $49/ year for access to all of their courses, which can be text, audio or video! And then you can take the test at the end. Each class is worth a different amount of CEUs and is a different difficulty level and length, but most I've found are 1 hour long, so not much time at all! There's even some classes related to audiology.

Another provider I've seen on ASHA (although it's not for credits, I'd still prefer it to be accredited) is linguisystems.com. I've actually seen some SLPs mention this on Facebook... and they love it cause some of the CEUs are free! So even better. :) That should be an easy way to gain more insight without having to hurt the college budget.

 

Those are just two examples to help boost that resume and just keep learning. Some even say it helped for finding a Clinical Fellowship Year (CFY) after graduate school. :)Check ASHA for other providers, or even take ones that might not be approved! If they don't count for credits then it may not matter anyway. :) Just make sure you jot down the courses and speakers to write on your resume!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment