Image Map

Research, Research, Research

10 February 2013

If you know me, you know I love learning and expanding my knowledge, especially if it's something I'm interested in. And well, I'm one happy chica right now, as I get to research two separate topics dealing with two different things I love (with some over-lapping!). My first project is a paper on Childhood Apraxia for my Intro to SLP class. I love learning about different diseases, how they relate to speech disorders and development and just anything to do with children or my future profession! (Although, I'm not dead-set on child therapy yet, but considering I've had more experience with kids makes it more viable.) It was a hard decision choosing a topic for this because, similar to the child-adult debate, there's some uncertainty about what I want to specialize in, if I do. There's just sooo many possibilities that I didn't know about! Childhood Apraxia of Speech ended up beating out the other contenders, though! It is just captivating, especially since it's not really acquired, which means that the child was born with it. And it has such a range of severity, with the most severe being almost unable to say any formidable and understandable words. How could that not spark interest?! I'll be looking into many things, including possible therapies and such, so I'll be up-to-date on that by the end of this!

 

The second project I am taking part in is actually a group project for my Genes and Diseases class (gahhh, genetics! I love it.) Turns out we are all CSD majors, and our topic was narrowed down to Deafness. For this we'll have to figure out how it goes from a mutation in the DNA that mis-translates into a bad protein that then causes deafness. Apparently there are many genes related to deafness! We had to pick one that seemed most prevalent so we were certain we'd find enough info.  We also get to actually see where it is located and everything! Which makes me all the more excited since it'll help me curb my appetite for genetics. I may also be able to use this information in my career as an SLP, especially since I hope to learn ASL. :)

 

I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on anything I find interesting and whatnot! What are some diseases, conditions or anything related to Speech-Language Pathology or genetics that interest you?

No comments:

Post a Comment